Sunday 11 September 2016

Review: Angelfall

Angelfall Angelfall by Susan Ee
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Okay, I understand the hype.

The Angelfall trilogy sat on my to-read list for a very long time. Everyone seemed to adore it, and the story was right up my street, yet I feared I would be disappointed. I’m always worried when books have a lot of hype. Hype leaves me fearful of disappointment. Fortunately, such was not the case with these books. As soon as I finished one book, I was picking up the next. I needed to know more, I wanted to see how things ended. All in all, it was very much worth it.

To be completely honest, at the start of the book I was unsure as to whether or not I would enjoy the book as much as the rest of the population seemed to be enjoying it. I was enjoy the story but there was more that I wanted. I wanted a bit more in terms of speed. I wanted some more when it came to the understanding of the world. I felt as though the storytelling was more on the younger end of the young adult spectrum than I’d been made to believe.

These things changed the more I worked through it.

The speed does pick up after a while, and there is a lot of action to be seen. I admit that there are a few slow points, but for the most part the story is non-stop. Events continue to move forward, one thing leads to another, and we’re never lacking for events. Everything that happens has a purpose.

When it comes to the lack of knowledge about the world, that doesn’t change as much as I had hoped for. We’re given more and more information the more we read, yet I still felt as though some specifics were lacking. There was more than enough to bring the world to life, yet I’m the kind of person who adores excess world building. The more world building the better. Thus, I felt a little bit let down by this aspect.

As for the writing issue, I came to deal with that. Such thing is an issue I need to deal with more often than you’d think. I’m a lover of extravagant prose. I love beautiful writing. Truthfully, this story is so addictive that I soon found myself pulled in and capable of overlooking the somewhat basic writing style.

Honestly, it didn’t take long before I reached the point where I was unable to put the book down.

It is a brilliant young adult tale, offering everything you would expect from such a read. Strong characters (although I was unsure about the portrayal of the mother, as that left me feeling a bit iffy because the psychologist in me came out). Gripping storyline. Romantic undertones. On that note, can we get a ‘hell yeah’ for the romance not being in your face. It is clearly there, but we’re lacking in the annoying endless romantic angst that you see in so many other young adult novels.

It really was a great read. It wasn’t quite what I had expected, yet I came to have so much fun with it. A very strong four stars which leaves you ready and waiting for what comes next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment