Wednesday 20 July 2016

Review: Book of Lilith

Book of Lilith Book of Lilith by P.K. Tyler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’ve said this many times before, and I’ll probably continue to reiterate it every time it is necessary, but I have a real love hate relationship with short stories. In my own opinion, I find them to be rather hit or miss. Whether it is because I expect too much or the wrong thing, or whether it is something else entirely, but I always enter short stories with a feeling of trepidation.

Thus far, P.K. Tyler has given me a number of short stories that were enjoyable. In fact, in terms of short story writers, she is someone I’ll happily read over and over. In short, the woman knows how to write a short story that gives you all you need in a handful of pages.

Book of Lilith is no different.

If I were to be completely honest, I’d go so far as to say this is my favourite of her short stories to date. It is a story you can complete in no time at all, but it will stay with you long after finishing. Truthfully, I wanted more from it – but in the best way possible. Sometimes you want more from a short story because it failed to give you anything, other times you want more because the story is so good you wish to see an entire world built from the few pages. With Book of Lilith, we have a case of the latter. I want more of this story, more of this world. It is an amazing tale in and of itself, and it has opened so many possibilities for where the story could go from here. I want to read those stories. I want to see where things head.

Basically, I want more.

I could sit here and explain the ins and outs of the story, explaining what happened and what you can expect, but I’m not going to do so. It’s short enough for such a thing to offer spoilers. In as simple terms as possible, it is a tale of how the world came to be with an interesting twist to make it stand out beyond the rest. Honestly, you can complete it in no time at all, so go ahead and pick it up. I promise that it is well worth the read.

As a final note, I would like to thank the author for allowing me to read and review this as part of her review team. As I’ve already said, it’s certainly my favourite of her short stories to date!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment