Wednesday 17 August 2016

Review: Missing

Missing Missing by Tim Weaver
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I’ve been meaning to listen to the Missing podcasts for quite some time. However, despite my interest, I’m not really one for listening to such things. Even when they’re on topics I find interesting, my attention wavers. Thus, you can imagine how happy I was when I found the transcripts for free on Amazon. My interest was well and truly piqued: I needed to read it, and I need to do so instantly.

As soon as I started reading, I was a goner.

From the very start, I was interested in the topic. Often true crime focuses upon the criminal statistics that are a lot rarer, allowing us to know all we need to know about serial killers. Missing, however, deals with something that is a lot more common: mispers.

It gives us details into the statistics of missing people: how many go missing in the UK a year, how quickly people are found, how many are never found. It gives us information on why people go missing. Information regarding the lives of people once they are missing: how they avoid detection, how people go about searching for them.

For such a short read, it gives a lot of information.

Honestly, my mind was filled with so much information. Useful information, not just in terms of the missing but also in relation to everyday life. It gives information into surveillance, technology, data, and many other aspects of life. In getting you to stop and think about what it would be like to disappear, of the difficulties of being part of the one percent that are not tracked down, the information also gets you to stop and think about everyday life.

Honestly, it was brilliant read – it really got me thinking.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment