Tuesday 28 February 2017

Review: Roman's Having Sex Again

Roman's Having Sex Again Roman's Having Sex Again by Nikki Ashton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Roman’s Having Sex Again is one of those books where my feelings towards the characters and story managed to do a complete turnaround as I worked my way through the story. I started off unsure, yet by the end of the book I realised I’d had a wonderful time.

The story starts with our main characters being introduced for the first time in a work meeting, before we’re quickly thrown into seeing how much of an a-hole our leading male is. I couldn’t help it: I hated him. It isn’t simply a case of me disliking love interests who act in such a way – I just hate rude people in general. His behaviour had me wanting to slap him, the things he was saying leaving me to believe I would murder him if I knew him. Due to this, I wanted nothing more than to shake some sense into our leading lady. Such behaviour is not okay, no matter how nice the guy’s behind happens to be.

Somehow, and I don’t know how, I found myself no longer caring about this massive issue. I was pulled into the story, and was able to overlook how much Roman’s behaviour annoyed me. Oh, there were still certain times where I would have punched him had I been in Summer’s position – but once I was pulled into the story I found I couldn’t put it down. It quickly became a one sitting read, leaving me ignoring my daily duties so that I could see how everything played out.

Truthfully, the story isn’t anything overly special. There are no billionaires. There’s no kidnapping situation. There’s no supernatural creature in the shadows. It doesn’t have that ‘out there’ quality that a lot of romance novels seem to have these days – and this is what allowed me to love this story so much. It was just your everyday romance. They’re two normal people, two very flawed people, who manage to find happiness together. Their story isn’t perfect, mistakes are made, but they work it all out and allow us to see that even the most everyday of people are able to find that special something should they be willing to work for it.

Honestly, it was such a change from my usual romance reads. There was plenty to keep me entertained, and it wasn’t until I finished that I realised that I hadn’t once looked for that ‘out there’ aspect that usually leaves me pulled into romance stories. It was so refreshing so see something so mundane become such a gripping read.

Not that this story is boring – far from it. There is plenty to keep you entertained.

As with any good romance read, there is plenty of drama. Drama between the lovers; drama between the friends; drama with enemies; drama with family. It was a bit of a mini soap opera, but that’s just life for you. It wasn’t crazy over the top; rather, it was believable. The events that took place were easy enough to imagine, things you could easily connect to – thus allowing you to drift into another world without leaving your own world too far behind. It was just the right amount of drama, just the right sort of drama.

Moreover, we’re given a truly amusing range of characters. As I’ve previously stated, I was unsure at the start of the story. I warmed up to our characters throughout, though, as I got to know them better. But what I really loved were our side characters. They were all so interesting. Not to mention, Roman’s family really made the story come alive. Honestly, I cannot remember laughing so hard at a book in a long time. I’m not going to say too much because of spoilers – however, his parents were the wonderful kind of eccentric that leaves you wanting more of them. Whilst I enjoyed all of the characters, Roman’s parents were certainly the highlight of the book.

So yeah, in sort I came to enjoy this one a lot.

I was pulled in and unable put the book down; I was laughing out loud; I was hoping things would play out for the best.

It may not be my favourite romance read of all time, but it’s certainly one I’ll be thinking about for a while.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment