Thursday 15 September 2022

Review: Dawn of Plagues

Dawn of Plagues Dawn of Plagues by Nicole Williams
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Dawn of Plagues sounded like a story I would love, and I was curious about reading it as I’ve previously enjoyed the author’s work. There were so many things about this one that sounded perfect for me – from the dystopian landscape to the fact that this is a big book to consume – and I jumped into it instantly.

Alas, this was one of those cases where I had trouble connecting from the start. I’m not quite sure what it was, but the writing style felt clunky to me. I know I have previously enjoyed the author’s other work, there were interesting points in this, but I found myself unable to connect with the way the story was told. In fact, there were times when I found myself needing to re-read things because it had failed to sink in properly the first time. Due to this, I found the book easy to put down and my willingness to pick it back up was not what I’d hoped it would be. While there were elements that are sure to interest many, the style had me disconnected.

All in all, I’m labelling this a case of ‘it’s me, not the book’.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment