Monday 19 August 2019

Review: Twisted Betrayal

Twisted Betrayal Twisted Betrayal by Siobhan Davis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Twisted Betrayal is the second book in the Rydeville High Elite book, continuing the story after the cliff-hanger of Cruel Intentions. It’s another Siobhan Davis book I completed in a single sitting, although it’s not one that I will label a favourite.

In truth, I fear I’m in the minority with this series. Although I’m finding it addictive, I’m not loving it in the way I usually love books from Siobhan Davis. To me, the series is trying too hard to be shocking. Siobhan Davis does angst wonderfully, and always throws in twists and turns, but with this one we’re sacrificing such things to have drama that feels forced. In some ways, it feels as though these books are working through a checklist of things that are popular in the genre at the moment, working predominantly to tick all the boxes. Many will love the series because it has so much of what is popular right now, but it just doesn’t feel like the usual Siobhan Davis to me.

I think the main reason for my somewhat cynical view is because I cannot connect with any of the characters. We’re told about the romance between the leading characters, but I do not feel it. Everyone is going on about the chemistry, but I’ve yet to see signs of it. Moreover, it felt like we had some serious personality transplants in this book. I understand how events can change people, but it felt like we were reading different characters with this one. It just threw me somewhat.

Despite this, as I’ve said, I was addicted. At first, I wasn’t sucked into it. Then, once the story got moving, I powered through it. There were some aspects that felt forced and unnecessary, specific scenes that I wasn’t crazy about, but as a whole I enjoyed where the story was going. There were plenty of new elements introduced, giving us answers to prior questions whilst giving us new things to think about. It’s very much a book that leaves you desperate for answers, for resolution, so you can finally know who can and cannot be trusted.

Although not my favourite Siobhan Davis read, Twisted Betrayal has me curious to see how the next Rydeville High Elite book plays out. I’m curious to see how everything comes together and am crossing my fingers Siobhan Davis will have me loving the final book in the way I usually love her books.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment