Friday 16 December 2016

Review: Carnal Whispers: Mind Stalker

Carnal Whispers: Mind Stalker Carnal Whispers: Mind Stalker by Reily Garrett
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Earlier this week I read Carnal Obsession: His Herat’s Prisoner. It’s the fourth book in the Carnal series, to be released in just over a month, but it works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. When I was done reading I was in a state of awe – the book was truly astounding. It was everything I’d hope it would be and then some, being a wonderful representation of the genre. Thus, I was super eager to read more of Reily Garrett’s work. In fact, I was happy to add her to my ‘instant read list’. What this amounts to is I want to read all her prior work and will jump at her future releases.

Due to this, I was more than happy to read and review Carnal Whispers: Mind Stalker, when Reily Garrett offered it to me.

Carnal Whispers: Mind Stalker is the story of Marc and Dani, and if I’m being completely honest they were the couple I was most interested in reading after I finished Carnal Obsession: His Heart’s Prisoner. I was interested in all of the brothers, I want to read all of their stories, but Marc was the one I enjoyed the most when I read Carnal Obsession. There was just something about him – his attitude, his easy way of being, his way of dealing with others – that left me intrigued to see how his story played out.

I can safely say that I really enjoyed his story. It was so much fun. I enjoyed Conner’s story a bit more, if I’m completely honest, but Marc’s story was wonderful as well. They were two very different stories, two very different situations, and I enjoyed them both in vastly different ways.

Whilst Carnal Whispers works well as a standalone novel, I will say that I think it will be easier to enjoy if you read Carnal Innocence. Carnal Innocence tells the story of Callie and Nate, with their story being linked in with the suspense elements surrounding Dani’s situation. It’s not necessary to have read Carnal Innocence to enjoy Carnal Whispers, but I believe it will help. I feel as though reading Carnal Innocence fills in some of the questions I have remaining in my mind relating to the paranormal element of the story, along with allowing me to better understand the situations referenced throughout this book. It is entirely your choice, though, as to whether or not you read Carnal Innocence. As I’ve said, this works just fine as a standalone novel. Reily Garrett explains the keys events in such a way that you know exactly what is going on, what happened in the past, and you’re never left in the dark.

Honestly, as I said above, the only blank spot in my knowledge is the details of the paranormal aspect. I wanted to know more, I wanted to understand that side of the story completely. Hence why I’m curious as to whether Carnal Innocence would work to fill in my blank spots. I understand how the paranormal aspect works, understanding how the powers work, but I’m curious as to how they came to be. I want to get to the bottom of the mystery, in other works, rather than simply knowing that side of the story exists.

That, really, is my only complaint. It took me slightly longer to get into the story of Marc and Dani than it did for me to be pulled into Conner’s story, but once I was pulled in I couldn’t put it down. As with the Carnal Obsession, this book is wonderfully written. Reily Garrett has a very unique style of writing, and I love the way her words flow. Her words bring the story to life, allowing the world to grow before your eyes. You feel a true connection to the characters in addition easily envisioning the scene and events, with her words moving the story forward at a wonderful pace.

Not only is her writing wonderful, but the story is so much fun. It’s so much more than the sum of its parts. It’s more than just a romantic suspense novel. It’s more than an erotic story. It’s more than a thriller. It’s more than a paranormal twist. It’s all of these things, and so much more. It’s about learning to love yourself, about trusting others, being true to who you are, accepting how things can be, and so much more. I could write so much, but it would ruin all the development that occurs for our characters throughout. Just know that the amount of growth shown by our characters reflects a much deeper meaning embedded into the story, if you’re willing to look. Even with all of this going on, you’re given so much for each of the individual parts. The romantic elements are both sweet and steamy. The suspense aspects will have you on the edge of your seat. The mystery will leave you second-guessing. It’s a wonderful combination of all these things.

Honestly, I loved this read. I cannot wait to read even more of Reily Garrett’s work. I’m debating whether I want to read Carnal Beginnings or Carnal Innocence next. I’m super intrigued by Julien’s character and yet Callie’s story has the potential to clear the fog regarding some of the paranormal questions I have in my mind. Whichever I read next, I’m positive I’ll have fun.

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete