Saturday 3 December 2016

Review: Shifter Date: Hungry as a Wolf

Shifter Date: Hungry Like a Wolf Shifter Date: Hungry as a Wolf by Alma Black
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A little over a week ago I read Alma Black’s Shifter Date: Must Love Lions. I had a lot of fun with it and I was super curious to see what happened next. Thus, when I was offered the second book I jumped at the chance. How could I say no to such a thing? This kind of paranormal romance is right up my street, with the first book leaving me wanting more – of course, I wanted to read the second book.

Having now finished the second book, the wolf shifter book, I can safely say this one delivered just as much as the first book.

In the first book, we were introduced to the shifter world through a lion. There’s a lion in book two, but we also expand our knowledge through welcoming a wolf into our world. If the truth is to be known, I think I enjoyed our wolf alpha more than I enjoyed our lion alpha. Max was lots of fun, but Luke had something more about him.

In the first book, we had a shifter and human forbidden romance. This time the romance is forbidden for another reason. Both of our characters are shifters – albeit different kinds of shifters – but their romance has a forbidden feel because of whom they are to teach other. You are not supposed to fall in love with your best friend’s younger sister; you are not supposed to fall for your older brother’s best friend. It’s a no-no in the dating world, and yet it happens for our two main characters. Feelings have existed for a long time, this has been a long time coming, and yet it’s only now that they act upon their desires.

This action comes through the dating app we were introduced to in the first book. Whilst it is not necessary to read the first book, as this will work fine as a standalone read, it will help your understanding some if you read it first. In fact, I actively encourage you to do such a thing. It’s such a great little read, introducing you to the world, and it’s great to have a feel for things that are mentioned in this book. It’s entirely your choice, but I certainly recommend you give the first book a read if you want to appreciate this book as much as it deserves to be appreciated.

In terms of the actual story, it was a really quick read and yet it was a nice slow burner. What I mean, is the story does not take long to read – it’s one you can easily complete in a single sitting due to length – but the romance takes a while to come together. It builds slowly, and I loved watching things change between the two main characters. I love watching tension build and walls crumble, thus this was perfect in my eyes. Plus, I really came to love the characters. They were both so much fun, and the chemistry between them was wonderful.

The one thing I did want more of was the non-romance drama, the danger in the shifter world. In the first book we were introduced to the bad guys, to Power Shift, and they make a reappearance here. When danger was lurking within the first couple of chapters of the book, I expected a lot of Power Shift drama, and yet I wasn’t quite given what I had hoped for throughout the entirety of the book. Yes, there was some drama to be seen in regards to Power Shift – one chapter in particular was a lot of fun – but I still wanted something more. That’s just me, though, wanting to know more about the bad guys of the world. As this is the second book in the series, as they’re such short reads, I understand that we’re not going to know too much about them – but I am left wanting more about that aspect of the world. I want some serious drama in the future books, and my fingers are crossed.

Another thing I want, on an unrelated note, is a Theo story. Whilst it does not link in directly with the feel of the series, I feel as though I would thoroughly enjoy his backstory. My fingers are crossed that we may one day receive it. Or, perhaps, one of the future Power Shift drama stories will be told from the perspective of Theo and his wife? I’d just love to see something from his point of view. Wherever the series goes, though, I’m so ready for what comes next. I have very high hopes for this series and cannot wait to get my hands on more!

As a final note, I would like to thank the author for allowing me to advance read this fun shifter romance.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment