Monday 24 October 2016

Review: Up for Everything

Up for Everything Up for Everything by Heather Young-Nichols
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My first Heather Young-Nichols book was Grounded. I had very mixed feelings: I enjoyed it and yet I didn’t, working through every rating from one star to four stars when debating how to rate it. Following this, I was interested in seeing what else she had to offer. I felt as though it was simply that one book that failed to hit me in the way I had anticipated, aware of a potential for real enjoyment. Thus, I went on to read her duology with A.J. Matthews, Dirt on the Diamond. I really enjoyed this, so much more than I anticipated, and I knew I would be reading more of her work. Thus, when the opportunity came along to advance read Up for Everything, I jumped at the chance.

Up for Everything is the third book in the Up for Grabs series, but it does work as a standalone romance novel. Despite how I enjoyed reading it in such a way, despite how I say this works, I would recommend against doing such a thing. Each book follows a different couple, telling the story of how they came to be, yet there is an underlying continuance throughout. I understood the relationships between people, I got the basics of events, and yet I missed out on that little bit extra that would have come about had I read the prior books. Don’t get me wrong, my lack of knowledge failed to lessen my enjoyment – I simply wish I’d read the prior books so that I could engage in the friendships even more than I did. It was clear to see there was a lot of history, you quickly came to work out how the relationships worked, and yet it wasn’t the same as having read the prior books.

That, of course, is my own fault. I should have known better than to jump in a series at book three. I simply thought the stories were more standalone than they truly are. No more dwelling on that, though – onto the good stuff.

This is a cute little romance novel, giving you everything you would expect from a new adult romance read. We have adorable moments. We have drama. We have laughter. We have our emotions pulled. Basically, we work through everything you should work through when it comes to a novel of this ilk. I admit that there were some of the clichéd predictable moments to be seen, but they weren’t as annoying as they can be in some books. This one was different, told from the male perspective, allowing us to see the world in a different way to a lot of the new adult romance novels out there, and it made watching these things unfold all the more entertaining.

Honestly, this was such an addictive read. There was more to it than I’d imagined there to be, finding myself unable to put it down until I got to see how everything played out. Without a doubt, it’s solidified my decision to read more of the author’s work. In fact, I’ve forced my friend to download the two prior Up for Grabs books because she has Kindle Unlimited and I feel as though I need someone to share in the feels with me. I cannot wait to read them now, I’m sure I’ll have lots of fun if this one is anything to go by.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment