These ‘about me’ sections, or even sections that inform you about blogs, have never been my forte. Much to my chagrin, I was never taught the unwritten rules of what you are supposed to say. The links at the side of the blog – Twitter and Goodreads, for example – are liable to tell you more than I could ever say in words.

Mostly, this will be a book blog. I read a lot, and I love to share my views on my most recent reads. I try to read a little bit of everything, but if you look closely you’ll notice I will occasionally become obsessed with one specific genre for a short period of time. Old books, new books, yet to be released books – I read them all. If you’re an author looking for advance readers or just wish for more reviews of a book you’ve already released, please feel free to contact me. There is a contact form at the side of my blog – if you scroll down below the Twitter and Goodreads sidebar you will find it – so drop me a message and I’ll be sure to get back to you in double time. After all, finding new authors is what makes the book world go around.

Thanks for taking your time to read this. With a little bit of luck, you will find my blog much more interesting than this mundane introductory section.

Saturday, 29 October 2016

Review: Up for Grabs

Up for Grabs Up for Grabs by Heather Young-Nichols
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I recently read the third book in this series, Up for Everything, only to realise I needed to read the prior books. Not in the sense that the third book made no sense – it worked perfectly fine as a standalone novel – rather I was desperate to know more of the story. Each book in this series tells the story of a different friendship couple, allowing us to see how they reached their happily ever after, and after reading Sam’s story I wanted to find out what had happened with the other couples.

I’ll be honest by saying Up for Grabs had caught my attention a couple of times in the past. It’s one of those books I was never one hundred percent sure if I wanted to read. It sounded interesting, and yet I couldn’t quite decide if I wanted to jump in. After enjoying Up for Everything, the decision was made for me. At this point I forced my friend to let me borrow her Kindle, making the most of her Kindle Unlimited.

I enjoyed the story, as a whole, but it wasn’t quite a full four star rating. For me, it’s because I feel as though the story was lacking a little bit. Having read the third book first, I knew what was to come with this one. I knew there was a lot of drama to be had. Hell, the synopsis promises as much. However, upon reading it I felt as though the story didn’t quite live up to all the promise. It was such a unique premise, and yet most of the story reads like any other romantic novel. I wanted more drama focused around the selling her virginity aspect, instead this part of the story wasn’t introduced until we were beyond the fifty percent mark.

I’ll admit it’s a super cute little romance. It has everything you expect from such a novel. Your emotions are played with throughout, taking you on a true rollercoaster ride. I simply wanted the unique aspect of the story to play a larger part. I wanted more focus on the unique aspect of the story. I wanted it to be more than just your typical college romance, which is what it felt like for most of the book. I just feel cheated, is all. Yes, I enjoyed it, but I wasn’t as fulfilled as I had hoped to be.

Overall, it was a great read; it simply wasn’t quite the amazing read I had been hoping for.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment