Thursday 28 September 2017

Review: Love Uncovered

Love Uncovered Love Uncovered by Laura Barnard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Earlier this year I read Excess Baggage, the first Babes of Brighton book. It was my first Laura Barnard book, and I loved it. I knew within chapters that I would be reading more of her work. When I reached the end of the book only to find out there was the possibility of getting a story for some of the other characters – well, I was so game. In fact, I was crazy excited. I wanted more. Not just a single additional story – I wanted all of the characters to get a story.

It looks like my wish may come true. Love Uncovered is the second Babes of Brighton book, and there’s a guaranteed third. Truthfully, I want the entire cast to get their own individual story. Not just the babes, but also the lads. With this second book, I came to love the entire cast even more and I cannot wait to read the upcoming book.

In terms of the actual story, Love Uncovered is a quite different read to Excess Baggage. I’ll be honest through admitting to entering this book with a somewhat biased view – when I found out about this story I was hoping Brooke and Tom would get together, and I was somewhat disappointed when it was the story of Brooke and Nicholas – but the way in which this story played out completely changed my view. Whereas Excess Baggage had me roaring with laughter on nearly every page, Love Uncovered is a more serious story. There are a few good giggles throughout, but it isn’t quite to the same level of humour as the first book in the series.

Speaking of this being a series, know it’s not necessary to read the prior book. This is an individual love story and works fine as a standalone novel. I’d certainly recommend reading the first book to get a better understanding of the characters involved, but it is not a necessity.

As with Excess Baggage, this was a seriously addictive read. Once I started, I found I could not put it down. It’s very much a book you will want to finish in a single sitting. You’re desperate to see how the romantic story will play out, you’re curious to see how the individual subplots will play out, and everything leaves you wanting more. From the moment you start Love Uncovered, you’re sucked into the story and unable to leave it alone for any real period of time.

Honestly, I loved this one. It wasn’t at all what I had expected after Excess Baggage, but it was a wonderful read. I could not have asked for a better story for Brooke. I fell even more in love with the characters, and I’m seriously excited for the next book. This one gave me what the first book gave me – humour, a wonderful cast, and a great storyline – and I’m positive the trend is going to continue throughout this series.

Without a doubt, I’ll be grabbing the third Babes of Brighton book when it is released.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment