Saturday 28 October 2017

Review: To Prevent Chic Costumes

To Prevent Chic Costumes To Prevent Chic Costumes by Emily Martha Sorensen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

To Prevent Chic Costumes is the second book in Emily Martha Sorensen’s Magical Mayhem series. As with To Prevent World Peace, it is an extremely short read, one that came be completed in under an hour, but it will leave you intrigued about what happens in the next instalment.

In my review of To Prevent World Peace, I mentioned how the book had a rather anime feel about it, feeling like a magical girl anime. I felt it even more with this one. To Prevent World Peace was the introduction episode, the one that gave us the basics we needed to know whether or not we’d be watching more, and To Prevent Chic Costumes was the second episode that really brought us into the story. I’m not usually a big fan of stories told by the episode, were each short tale gives just a single element of the overall story, but I’m finding myself rather enjoying it with this one. It’s very much like returning to my childhood days, only I’m reading the magical girl anime rather than watching it on television.

As with the first book, it was short and sweet, straight to the point. Across just four chapters the story moves us forward, introducing a few new elements to us. New characters and the promise of new events, mixed together with what we’d already come to know in the first story. Whilst there is plenty of promise of what may come, of things we will wish to see, things are left rather open – again, reminding me of watching anime when I was younger. Rather than waiting a day until the next episode airs, however, you just need to pick up the next book to see how things play out.

Whilst I enjoyed To Prevent World Peace, I was a little bit tentative about what was to come. To Prevent Chic Costumes removed that feeling, leaving me excited about where this series is going to head. I’m super excited to dive into the next story.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment