Monday 31 October 2016

Review: Dream Waters

Dream Waters Dream Waters by Erin A. Jensen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Dream Waters is such a surprising read, one that pulled me in so much more than I’d initially anticipated.

In this story so many things are crossed over, so many things pulled together, and I loved it. Dreams and reality collide. Fairy tales and history mix. Love and obsession can be seen. And those are simply the three main points written on the cover – I could easily name more.

Our story starts in a psychiatric unit, with our characters coming together for the first time. I’ll admit, at first, I felt as though things were quite slow. Our characters came together, their relationship seemed to appear out of nowhere, and yet the story wasn’t really giving us much. There was a lot of mystery, so many questions, and yet the focus was upon these two coming together and forming their friendship that seemed to be the prelude to something more.

Then the fantasy hit us. Not just the odd reference here and there, I mean it really came to life as it was explained to us. It was such a unique fantasy and I adored it. The Dream World exists in our sleeping state, everyone has access to it, but a select few can travel there of their own will without the aid of sleep. It seems really basic, but there is so much more to it than you can imagine. With our main male character being able to see the dream world, being able to travel between the two worlds, it quickly grows beyond what you would expect and you’re soon in love with both worlds and the way they interact. Still, you have many questions. Despite how much we find out, we still need many questions answered.

I’ll admit that I saw quite a few things coming from quite early on. Who and what characters were wasn’t quite the mystery it was intended to be, being slightly predictable. However, I was so focused upon these obvious aspects that I was taken completely by surprise when some of the twists came about. The end chapter in particular – wow. It has left me so ready for the next book. I’m curious about where things will go, hopeful for answers. There are so many potential directions for the next book and I’m not at all sure where it will go – all I know for sure is that the ending left me more than ready for it.

Honestly, I really did enjoy this one much more than the initial few chapters had me believing. Flickering between perspectives had me fearful that I wouldn’t get into the book, along with a few distracting editing issues, but once I wrapped my head around things I was pulled right in. This book pulls together so many different elements, leaving us with something both simple and complex. It really is a fun read.

As a final note, I’d like to thank the author for contacting me for a review. I cannot wait to see what the next book brings.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment