Tuesday 23 May 2017

Review: Behind the Altar

Behind the Altar Behind the Altar by P.C. Zick
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had a bit of a debate with myself before rating this book. A part of me wished to give it three stars, whereas another part of me wished to give it four stars. Overall, it’s a three-point-five star read. In the end, I opted to round down instead of up. This doesn’t mean it is not deserving of a four star rating, merely that I was leaning more towards the three stars when I stopped to think about it.

Behind the Altar is the first book in the Behind the Love series, and it was a very interesting read. It certainly leaves you interested in what the future books will give you, curious as to how the tales of the other characters will play out.

The story itself, for me, had ups and downs. There were some points where I was extremely interested in the story, yet there were other points where the story seemed to drag. I cannot deny that the overall story was an interesting one, that it had many aspects to it, yet I feel as though it wasn’t delivered as well as it could have been. There was such potential for emotional impact, and it didn’t quite hit me in the way I had hoped it would. I enjoyed watching things play out, but I never experienced the overwhelming emotions a tale such as this should have provoked from me. When I was enjoying the story, I was really enjoying it. When I was simply reading it to see where things were going, I felt a little underwhelmed. It has left me with the belief that the future books in the series will hit harder, but for me, this one didn’t quite do it.

That being said, I did really enjoy the characters. Whilst I had ups and downs with the events, whilst I felt as though some of the events were a bit on the clichéd side, I really did enjoy the characters. The more I read, the more I enjoyed them. It wasn’t just the main characters I came to love – I also really enjoyed the side characters, hence my desire to read the future books in the series.

Overall, it was an okay read. I had expected something a little bit more, but it has left me hopeful for the rest of the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment