Thursday 25 May 2017

Review: Flynn's Firecracker

Flynn's Firecracker Flynn's Firecracker by Dale Mayer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Flynn’s Firecracker is the fifth book in the Heroes for Hire series, yet it can be read as a standalone novel. I read it as a standalone novel, but I do feel as though I would have understood things better had I read the prior books in the series. I only say this because some of the information was a bit daunting at first – once the story started to move, I was perfectly fine, but at first I did have a lot of questions. Therefore, whilst it can be enjoyed as a standalone novel, I honestly do feel as though it is beneficial to have read the prior books. Not to mention I’m now interested in reading the prior books, and will likely do such a thing once I’m more caught up with my mighty long reading list.

The story itself is a truly addictive one. I wasn’t sure how addicted I was going to become, but before I knew what was happening I’d completed the book in a single sitting. Once it had pulled me in, I found the real world was no longer of interest to me. I needed to know what happened next, and I needed answers regarding how things played out. With action on every page, with the romance simmering below the surface, this story really pulled me in.

Honestly, there’s so much action in this one. Events hit you one after the other. I’ll be honest and say I wanted a bit more mystery surrounding who was behind the events, but as the story progressed I came to enjoy the fact we had the knowledge. Rather than being obsessed with working out who was causing the trouble, I got to watch as the characters worked towards taking down the problem. I’m not usually a fan of novels that play out in such a way, but it really worked with this one. I really couldn’t have imagined it playing out any other way.

Although I felt as though I would know the characters better if I had read the prior books in the series, such a thing failed to prevent me from falling in love with them. It wasn’t simply the main characters I came to love: I really came to enjoy the side characters as well. That’s part of the big reason why I wish to read the other books in the series – everyone in this story was wonderful, playing a part, and they were all so real. I cannot remember the last time I feel in love with such a large cast of characters so quickly.

Overall, this was a great read. Despite my wish to have read the series in order, I cannot deny that Flynn’s Firecracker has certainly left me wanting more from the series. If you’re already a fan of the series, then I’m sure you’ll love this one. If you’ve yet to start the series, then you should join me on the journey of getting to know the characters.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment