Tuesday 16 May 2017

Review: Just Things

Just Things Just Things by Erin Lee
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Just Things, the first book in the Diary of a Serial Killer series, is a hard book for me to review. On the one hand, I was addicted to this story. On the other hand, it wasn’t quite everything I had hoped it would be. I know that many people will positively love this book, yet I’ve read so many books written from a serial killer’s point of view that I fear I’m becoming jaded. These stories will always scream out to me – I’m a disturbed individual in that way – yet it takes a lot for me to fall head over heels with the story. Although this one did have moments where I contemplated giving a four star rating, in the end I decided it was more of a three-point-five read that I opted to round down.

Just Things is told in a very interesting way. Books told from a serial killer’s perspective seem to be a dime a dozen these days, but this one does add more to it that simply following our killer as he acts out his deeds. In addition to finding out what happened, this one allows us to read the musings that occur within his diary. These diary entries vary between rambling details of his sanity to information regarding his past, coming in a range of formats including big meaty paragraphs to simple lists. It’s a very interesting way of telling a story.

Moreover, we get to experience the same thing when it comes to the agent working the case. We get to see details of their daily life in addition to diary entries and notebook information. The parallels drawn between the two are particularly interesting. Although I would have liked more in regards to the agent’s story (I’m a massive crime fiction fan, the tiny case details are my oxygen), I rather enjoyed the way in which we’re able to compare the two characters.

Throughout, we’re building towards the character’s crossing paths. We watch as the noose tightens, as things seem to slip out of control. We’re left with questions of what will come next, curiosities of how everything will come together. Then the ending – well, that just leaves you wanting to pick up the next book. Despite feeling rather sudden, it is a brilliant way to keep you interested in what comes next.

Honestly, it was a thoroughly interesting read. The way in which the story was told, the constant changes in how information was given, was particularly addictive. It’s one of those stories you need to finish in a single sitting, one of those stories you cannot put down. As I said, my three star rating is more so a reflection of how I’ve read so many of these kind of books and have now found myself with extremely high expectations.

Overall, it was a fun read, one that is worth picking up if you enjoy these kinds of stories.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment