Tuesday 30 May 2017

Review: Obsidian

Obsidian Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Lux series is one of those overly popular series that sat on my to-read list for a very long time. I was interested in reading the books, yet I wasn’t overly crazy about them. It was interest, not obsession. However, when I managed to find some of the books going cheap in a second-hand bookstore, I decided to take the plunge. It was better to sate my curiosity instead of leaving it to develop to crazy proportions.

Whilst I did enjoy Obsidian, the first book in the series, I wasn’t crazy about it. I gave it a four star rating at the time of reading, yet retrospect has me wishing to give it three stars. In my opinion, it was the weakest book in the series. I was addicted throughout – hence why I rounded up to four stars when having an internal debate regarding whether I was to round the three-point-five star read up or down – but the book wasn’t at all what I had been anticipating.

Would you like to know my main thought throughout reading? My main thought was that this book was an alien Twilight. So many things screamed Twilight at me, for both the characters and the events. I really cannot be the only one to have noticed this. I know that Twilight was extremely influential, yet it felt like too much with this book. It almost felt like an alien fan fiction at times. It really wasn’t the amazing unique read everyone had me anticipating.

You see, a large part of why I finally decided to read this book is due to another series. The Saven series, by Siobhan Davis, is a thing of beauty. It’s a wonderful sci-fi read. I experienced so many emotions throughout, I came to love so much about the story. As it was dubbed ‘the next Lux’, I had such high expectations for this one. After reading this book, even after reading the entire Lux series, I can honestly say I favour the Saven series.

Yes, this was a fun read – however, it was nowhere near the mind blowing read I had been promised.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment