Saturday 29 July 2017

Review: His Rules

His Rules His Rules by Dani Wyatt
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

His Rules is the second book I have read in the HIS Collection. Whilst I enjoyed His Rules a lot more than I enjoyed His Obsession, it still wasn’t quite enough to blow my mind. At a push, I would give this a possible three-point-five star rating. However, that rating would be based solely upon a comparison with the prior story. I was disappointed in His Obsession because it did not feel like a full-length novel, thus receiving a complete story pleased me greatly.

Dani Wyatt is a name I see quite often. I keep meaning to pick up some of the author’s work to try. In fact, I have a couple of the author’s books sitting on my Kindle waiting for me to pick up. Although His Rules did not blow my mind, it was enough to show me Dani Wyatt can write a gripping story, and I’m certainly interested in jumping into the other Dani Wyatt books on my Kindle.

The story itself was gripping, and it kept me turning the pages. I was interested to see how things played out and enjoyed the dynamics between the characters, yet I felt as though the story wasn’t quite all it could have been. To me, it felt a bit rushed. There were plenty of enjoyable moments throughout, but it felt as though it was peppered with clichés that were not as smoothly introduced as they could have been. They popped up to move the story to the next point, without giving us the depth that I usually like. In part, this is a reflection of how picky I am when it comes to stories of this length. I wanted things to move slower, to be given a deeper insight, as a way to allow me to appreciate the story more.

Overall, it was more enjoyable than my prior read in the HIS Collection, but I still wasn’t crazy about this one. I’m thinking this collection was not for me. I’ll read more as I had more, but they’re not high up my to-read list.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment