Wednesday 26 July 2017

Review: Taming a Rogue Earl

Taming a Rogue Earl Taming a Rogue Earl by Tammy Andresen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Taming a Rogue Earl is the sixth book in the Taming the Heart series, and as with the prior books it can be read as a standalone novel. With this one, more so than the prior books, I would certainly suggest picking up the prior books if you want the full experience of the story. Each story is connected through the characters, yet this one is based quite heavily upon events in prior books. There are enough references for you to understand the story without the prior books, but a much deeper understanding occurs if you’ve read the prior books.

In Taming a Savage Gentleman, we were introduced to Loudoun. I wasn’t crazy about his character at first, but he developed so much throughout the story that I was left super interested in seeing how his story would play out. With the preview into his story given at the end of Taming a Savage Gentleman, I knew I would have a lot of fun with his story.

As expected, Taming a Rogue Earl was a lot of fun. It had all the high points of the prior books, whilst also ensuring I came to really enjoy Loudoun as a character. It’s this development between the two books that leaves me believing a much better experience of this story can be had if you’ve read the prior books. In addition to Loudoun becoming a much stronger character in my mind, I really enjoyed finding out more about May. May was always there in the background, and it was great to get a story of her happily ever after.

As with the prior books in the series, it’s a read you can complete in a single sitting. Despite the length, you’re pulled completely into the story. The characters grip you, the events entertain you, and the romance will leave you experiencing the necessary highs and lows. Although Taming a Laird’s Wild Lady is my favourite book in the series, Taming a Rogue Earl is certainly up there is my favourites. The subtle changes made to the story – the change of scenery, the history between the characters, and the way it linked back so well to the prior book – left me enjoying this one is a vastly different way to how I enjoyed the prior books. All the books are wonderful reads, but this one feels different. Not a bad kind of different – it simply leaves you experiencing a different range of emotions.

As I’d hoped, this was a wonderful addition to the series. It was so nice to revisit a character who wasn’t originally a favourite, watching the changes take place that allowed me to enjoy him much more.

As a final note, I would like to thank Aurora Publicity for allowing me to read this in exchange for a review: I had a lot of fun with this one, and look forward to Tammy Andresen’s next release.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment