Tuesday 1 August 2017

Review: Blameless

Blameless Blameless by Gail Carriger
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Blameless is the third book in the Parasol Protectorate series, and it’s probably my least favourite of the series. It is enjoyable, but I did not enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the prior books. Some elements I really enjoyed whereas other elements annoyed me somewhat. It moved the series forward well, but I wasn’t happy with the way everything played out.

As with the prior books in the series, Blameless is an easy read you can complete in no time at all. It is another of those books with a lighter feeling. Although some of the events in this book are somewhat darker than in the prior books, it is still very far from being a truly dark read when compared to other fantasy books on the market. As I said in my review of Changeless, this is a series to read when you’re wanting a break from the heavier books of the world. It is an interesting series, you’ll be addicted throughout, but it is a much more relaxed read.

Following on from Changeless, Blameless takes us even deeper into the Parasol world. There are many new elements introduced, mysteries are uncovered to reveal new mysteries, and the world grows to be more complex. I really did enjoy many of the new elements added in this book. The world became much richer, with many more anticipations regarding the future developed in my mind.

However, I wasn’t completely content with the behaviours of the characters in this book. I understand that it all played in with the storyline and the world, but I quickly became annoyed with how I seemed to be reading the same situation over and over again in slightly differing forms depending upon the characters involved. I also feel as though emotions changed far too quickly, with people simply accepting things. I would have liked for this story to have been a bit more emotionally complex, as that would have lessened my annoyance with the behaviours witnessed.

Nevertheless, Blameless was an enjoyable read. As with the prior book, it leaves you excited for the possibilities of where the series will move in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment