Friday 18 August 2017

Review: The Irish Getaway

The Irish Getaway The Irish Getaway by Siobhan Davis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’ve been excited about The Irish Getaway from the moment Siobhan Davis mentioned a Kennedy Boys short story. Reading Loving Kalvin merely increased my desire to read this short story, the titbits offered leaving me super excited to find out more of the specific details. I hate to say it, but whilst I enjoyed this, it wasn’t quite all I had hoped it would be.

I have a very complicated relationship with short stories. I hate more than I love. With the Saven series, Siobhan Davis convinced me her short stories are more than worth the read. In fact, I’m impatiently awaiting the rest of those short stories. Due to this, I had high hopes for The Irish Getaway with Siobhan Davis being one of the few authors whose short stories I look forward to reading.

Truthfully, this is more of a three-point-five star read than a three star read. I did my usual debate of whether I was to round up or down, yet I’ve been in one of those weird reading moods lately where very little seems to be pleasing me in the way I hope. I’m still enjoying books, but I’m waiting on that one book that will blow my mind. I’d been hoping The Irish Getaway would be that book, and because it wasn’t I believe that is why I opted to round down. I know many fans of the series will give it a higher rating… but yeah, weird reading mood right about now.

The Irish Getaway brings Faye’s story full circle in a wonderful manner. We’re back where everything started, returning to Ireland to be giving one final tale from the perspectives of Faye and Kyler. As with the other Kennedy Boys books, this one was filled with drama and mischief. With all of the boys on vacation, things quickly get out of hand. Fun, fisticuffs, and the other ‘f’ word you can easily fill in without me saying.

I feel as though this story gave us a nice insight into many of the future Kennedy Boys books. We get to see glimpses of things that promise to blow our minds in later books. In fact, I think my preferred release order for the future books has changed. I’m even more excited for certain stories now that I’ve been giving a little bit more about some of the boys. These little tasters do plenty to build up an appetite yet nothing at all is solid – things are very much open, and there’s no telling what Siobhan Davis will bring us.

Whilst this story did give us lots of little things, I feel as though it never quite reached the one big bang that we were given with the main books in the series. It was lots of little explosions, and whilst they were lots of fun, they never really reached the intensity of the one big bang I’ve come to love in the other books. It pulled everything together well, we had some nice moments, but it didn’t quite move me in the same way the main books in the series have.

Overall, it was an enjoyable quick read. In addition to the little something more added by the short story, we are also given some bonus scenes to go with the Kyler books. Without a doubt, it is worth picking up if you’re a fan of the Kennedy Boys.

Honestly, I think it’s just my current reading mood that left me feeling a bit out of touch with this one. It was fun; I just wanted something to truly blow my mind.

Bring on Saving Brad (I’m more hyped for it now after the snippets of drama we get to see in this).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment