Wednesday 27 December 2017

Review: The Midnight Queen

The Midnight Queen The Midnight Queen by Sylvia Izzo Hunter
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Midnight Queen is the first book in Sylvia Izzo Hunter’s Noctis Magicae series. In truth, it is more of a three-point-five star read; whilst I debated rounding up, in the end I decided to round down. There were some four-star moments, but there were more three-star moments, hence why I rounded down.

The Midnight Queen grabbed my attention by the intriguing concept: historical fiction mixed with magic is a sure way to grab my attention. However, the book was not as mind blowing as I had hoped it would be. It was fun, yes, but I had expected something more from this one.

The story was interesting from the start, but it took a long time before I was lost in the events. I was intrigued by what was happening, but I wasn’t sucked into the action. This was mainly due to the length of time it took before the events really started to move – there was a lot going on, but a lot of it was a means of giving us information. As there were so many elements to the story, it took was lot to get the head around – information came together, but it takes a decent amount of the book before you’re able to put everything together well.

With there being so many different elements, it was great to see how they all came together. We were introduced to so much throughout this one, and whilst there were times when I thought the story to be a bit slow, it was satisfying to see how things went together. Moreover, I feel as though there is quite a bit of potential for the future events in Lady of Magick and A Season of Spells. I may not be overly excited to pick up the next two books, but a part of me is intrigued by what could come next.

Overall, an interesting read even if it wasn’t all it could have been.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment