Monday 11 December 2017

Review: Tide

Tide Tide by Deirdre Riordan Hall
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I love a good mermaid book, even if I do not read them that often. In fact, I regularly tell myself I need to read more mermaid books. Hence, I was eager to dive into Deirdre Riordan Hall’s Tide. I had heard of the author before, one of those names that sparked a connection in my mind, but I had never picked up one of her books. Thus, I was killing two birds with one stone – I was getting myself another mermaid read and getting my introduction to Deirdre Riordan Hall.

The synopsis of Tide instantly grabbed my attention. It was one of those books where I had no idea what to expect, yet I had a number of possibilities in my mind. I wasn’t going in completely blind, but it was certainly dark inside. I love it when such is the case – it means everything that occurs is a bit of a mystery, I get to watch the story unfold with only a few expectations in mind.

I will be completely honest by saying the story was slow to start. There was a lot of backstory to wade through, many elements introduced early in the book which were not quite the mermaid centred story I was expecting. However, once the story got going I found myself really enjoying it. It is a slow builder, with many elements gradually coming together. Plenty of things come together in this one, and yet there is plenty left open to leave you interested to see where the rest of the series will go. In fact, I cannot wait to dive into the second The Sea & Sand book, Anchored, as I feel as though it will take many of the elements introduced in this book to new heights.

In many ways, you can tell this is the first book in a series. It is heavy with detail, introducing us to the many elements of the mermaid mythology. We find out a lot about the characters, a lot of focus being placed upon the events in the past. Relationships are made between characters, both good and bad, we get to see the interactions. Tide may not be the most action based book you have ever read – when things do get moving at a rapid pace, it is towards the end – but there is a lot building throughout. The world develops in your mind, the details grow, and by the end of the book you know there are many interesting things to come.

Tide certainly won me over, providing a wonderful mermaid read and a series I want more of. I cannot wait to see what comes next for the characters and where events will lead. I really do expect great things from Anchored.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment