Tuesday 17 November 2020

Review: Grey Sister

Grey Sister Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Red Sister, the first book in Mark Lawrence’s Book of the Ancestor series. had me conflicted. I wasn’t crazy about it, but I was curious to see what happened next. Unfortunately, Grey Sister failed to wow me in the way I had hoped.

I think my biggest problem is that I find Mark Lawrence’s style of writing does not pull me in. It clearly works for many, but it doesn’t grab me. The storyline in the first one, however, allowed me to overcome this. Such did not happen with this one. We skipped forward in time and missed the emotional impact of the events in book one, to the point where it felt like things were just brushed aside. Add in the fact that no growth occurred in the time skip, and I felt like I was reading the same book again. At the age the characters are, a lot of growth should have happened, yet it hadn’t. Perhaps I’m being overly picky – I find this happens often with fantasy, despite how much I love the genre – but this one didn’t live up to what I’d expected.

Although this series is insanely popular, I belong in the minority and I find I don’t particularly care about how it ends.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment