Tuesday 1 March 2022

Review: Deceitful

Deceitful Deceitful by C. Reilly
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Deceitful was my first Reilly read (as either C. Reilly or Cora Reilly) and it is one that left me conflicted. It took me quite a while to get into the story, but once I did, I finished it in no time. At the same time, while curious to see how it came together, I never completely fell for it.

I think this is one of those stories where there were a lot of interesting elements involved, yet none of them were quite taken to the extent I had hoped. When it comes to the supernatural, it is clear those elements will play out more in the future books, and I understand that. I do wish there had been more to the other elements, though. The romance, for example, made little sense to me. It felt like a crush without any substance. The mystery element was interesting, but there were not enough surprising details, and everything was rather obvious. That is not to say it was a bad book, simply that I wanted more.

For a start of a series, this offers a lot of potential. I just wish there had been more depth to it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment