Monday 14 March 2022

Review: Runaway.

Runaway Runaway by Ivy Smoak
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I’m going to start this review with compete honesty. I’m not usually the type to leave a series unfinished, but had I not agreed to read and review the entire series thus far, I would have quit this series way before now. The first book was addictive, the second book I was less interested in because it was repetitive, the third book failed to interest me, and the fourth book completely disgusted me. The only thing that kept me reading Runaway was to see how many details I had correctly predicted.

It turns out, I had correctly predicted them all. While many will enjoy Runaway because it offers an insight into the mysterious sixteen years that have passed, it did not work for me. The pacing was all over the place for me, and there was no real development for time that had passed. Although I did not hate this one to the same degree that I hated book four, I could not bring myself to give it a higher rating. It’s a one-point-five-star read instead of a one-star read, and the only reason it is rated half a star higher is because I was not disgusted by the male lead in the way I was with book four. Despite the lack of disgust, the story did little to move the series forward, and I feel this is just being dragged out pointlessly.

As with my feelings toward book four, I’m clearly in the minority with my feelings. Most fans of the series seemed to love this, but this has confirmed the fact that I am done with Empire High.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment