Thursday 22 December 2016

Review: Dime Store Magic

Dime Store Magic Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Dime Store Magic is the third book in the Women of the Otherworld series, and as with the prior two books it’s a great read.
 
With this one, we see a change in perspective and at first I wasn’t quite sure how I was going to enjoy it. Through the first two books I was really pulled into the werewolf world and knowing a change was coming had left me tentative. Yes, I’d enjoyed the introduction to the other supernatural parts of the world we got to see in Stolen but I wasn’t sure where things would go. Fortunately, I very quickly found myself pulled into the story.
 
Paige turned out to be a very interesting character, giving us a very different viewpoint to that given in the first two books. The way the story was told from her perspective really pulled you in, leaving you entertained throughout, giving you a much wider view of the supernatural world. Looking at the witching world, it was a very different kind of story to that in the first two books. Yes, there was links, but at the same time it was a completely unique story.
 
Honestly, the development of the witching world was my favourite aspect of the story. We only got a glimpse of it in the prior book, but in this one we got a much better understanding of the witching world. Learning the rules and watching the interactions was so much fun, especially as we found out more regarding the divide between witches and warlocks.
 
That brings me nicely to my next point. Whilst the romantic element in this one was rather predictable, I really enjoyed watching it unfold. The romance in this was completely different to that seen in the prior book, ensuring the story was as far away from the prior books as possible in as many was as could be. We have a completely different personality with our main character; we have a completely different romance story; we have a completely different plotline. All in all, it works well to make this books stand on its own whilst remaining linked to the main series.
 
Honestly, this book is very different to the prior two books and I loved this change. It moves the entire series forward through introducing us to many new aspects of the world, allowing us to see things from another perspective, all whilst having a unique feel about it.
 
I really do need to get my hands on book four and continue on with this wonderful series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment