Wednesday 14 December 2016

Review: The Sainted

The Sainted: Book 2 of The Departed Series The Sainted by Kristy Cooper
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Sainted is the second book in The Departed series, and I think it’s safe to say I enjoyed this one more than the first. Whilst I had a lot of fun with The Departed, there seemed to be that little bit more in The Sainted that left me truly hooked throughout.

The Sainted starts off where The Departed left off, instantly pulling us into the story. I’ll admit that a part of me was annoyed when the information of the last book was reiterated, although I think this is because I went from book one to book two in a very short period of time. Had there been more time between the two, such a thing would not have bothered me. In fact, I know I’m usually grateful for such a thing. Fortunately, this was all done quickly at the very start of the book. A quick recap, if you will.

In terms of the story, things developed quite a lot in this book – a lot more than I’d been expecting, actually. With two perspectives, we get to see two different things that are going on. With Gwen we get to follow the events that are happening inside of the compound, whereas with Mindy we get to see the events going on in the real world. Whilst I favoured Gwen’s perspective – I came to love her in the first book, thus I felt more of a connection to her – I found Mindy’s perspective to be a lot more enjoyable than I’d been expecting. It really was a great way to see the how events were unfolding, allowing us to understand the bigger picture.

I really don’t want to say too much about this one, but a lot does happen. We find out more about the compound, getting to spend time inside where we can watch how things play out. I wasn’t sure how events would unfold, but I was extremely happy with what occurred. I was constantly turning pages to see what would come next, curious as to how things would be resolved. Then there are the events outside of the compound – boy have they set things up for the next book. These events, coupled with the ending, ensure book three will take a very different but equally interesting path.

I cannot wait to see where the third book takes us – I’m super excited to see how things play out.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment