Wednesday 30 May 2018

Review: The Marquess' Angel

The Marquess' Angel The Marquess' Angel by Julia Sinclair
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The Marquess’ Angel is the first book in Julia Sinclair’s Hart and Arrow series, and it was a great debut novel that has me more than willing to see where the rest of this series goes. With so many books planned for this series, I’m more than a little bit curious to see how things will play out.

Before I start writing up my views towards this one, I wish to make a quick disclaimer. Although I have given this book a four-star rating, it is more of a three-point-five-star rating. However, it was a strong three-point-five-star read, thus I opted to round up. I more than believe the books will grow stronger the deeper into the series we go, and this was a solid enough start to the series – hence, the rounding up.

The Hart and Arrow series promises a Romeo and Juliet style hatred between families, set within regancy England. Being a fan of historical romance, I was more than intrigued by the promise of such a series. Not to mention, the synopsis of The Marquess’ Angel sounded like a lot of fun.

At first, I was a little bit unsure about this one. We’re thrown straight into a story that grabbed my attention, yet it took me longer than I would have liked before I was sucked in. The first few chapters I spent being intrigued, rather than being in love with the story. Therefore, I certainly recommend giving this book a bit of time to grip you. Once it does grip you, once things do start to move, the story is a lot of fun.

There is plenty throughout to keep you interested. The characters are so much fun – both the main characters and the side characters. I adored the relationship between our main characters, watching how things developed between them, watching as they grew throughout. I also really enjoyed the insights we got into the side characters, and cannot wait to find out more about the story that is hiding there. The story was also a lot of fun – there was plenty happen throughout, more than enough to keep you entertained. It didn’t quite have the level of action and drama I like in these kinds of stories, but there was more than enough to keep me entertained, even if some things were a bit predictable. The romance was also really enjoyable – as I mentioned, I really enjoyed watching the relationship bloom between the characters. There wasn’t as much steam in this one as I had expected – in fact, it was extremely tame compared to a lot of historical romance I have read (I have a habit of jumping into bodice rippers) – yet it was an enjoyable story.

I’m hoping the next book goes even deeper into the hatred between the two families, as I feel as though it was never quite explained in full. There is such potential there, and I would love to get more details rather than it just being an element that is constantly pointed towards.

Overall, The Marquess’ Angel was a fun read, and I’m more than ready to dive into Julia Sinclair’s next Hart and Arrow release.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment