Saturday 26 May 2018

Review: The Truth Hunters

The Truth Hunters The Truth Hunters by Emilia Zeeland
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Emilia Zeeland’s The Unsound Theory was one of those books that really surprised me. It grabbed my interest, but I went in with quite low expectations for some unfathomable reason. Fortunately, the book blew me away: I came to adore the characters, I found myself obsessed with the storyline, and I was left with the intense desire to dive into more from the STAR Academy universe.

Thus, I was more than willing to dive into The Truth Hunters.

As I said, The Unsound Theory was a great book; however, The Truth Hunters makes it look like mere child’s play. The Truth Hunter takes all we came to know and love in the first book, making everything bigger and better. You thought you understood the world? Well, wait until you get this piece of information. You thought you couldn’t love that character any more than you already did? Well, wait until you see what happens to them next. You thought you knew where the mystery and intrigue were heading? Well, wait until you’re proven wrong, so very wrong, as many new levels of the story are introduced with this one.

From the very start, The Truth Hunters sucked me back into the story. I will admit to being a wee bit tentative at first – the story did not progress in the way I had expected it to, and I was unsure what to expect. In this case, however, the unexpected was very much welcomed. What I thought would be the main focus for this book took a bit of a backseat – it was still there, it simply wasn’t as prominent as I had anticipated – as many new layers were added to the story. When it became clear where the story was heading, what direction we were moving in, I found myself overjoyed by the new elements – yet I wasn’t prepared to be given quite as much as I was.

Honestly, so much comes to light in this one. Plenty of new twists and turns appear, information taking us in all kinds of directions. There is so much emotion to be experienced throughout, so many aspects that will stand out in your mind for a very long time. There is growth for many of the characters, the worlds continue to grow, and the storyline grows more complex and wonderful.

There is no doubt in my mind, this is one of the best sequels I have read in a long time. Sometimes second books can feel like filler books, they do not give as much to a series as they could, but such was not the case here. The Truth Hunters takes the series to new heights, and I cannot wait to see what book three brings us. In fact, I have quite a lot of things I am desperate to see come to fruition in the next book.

If the growth of this book is any indication of what is to come, I believe Emilia Zeeland may well be one of the few authors to pull one of those elusive five-star ratings from me. There are clearly big things to come, and I cannot wait to experience them.

If you have yet to start the STAR Academy series, you need to go and amend that mistake right now.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment