Wednesday 23 May 2018

Review: Opal of Light

Opal of Light Opal of Light by Norma Hinkens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Having read an enjoyed The Expulsion Project from Norma Hinkens, I’ve been meaning to dive into more of her work. I have the Undergrounders sitting on my Kindle ready to be picked up, yet Opal of Light ended up being the book I read first. I already know Norma Hinkens can write science fiction, as shown through The Expulsion Project, so I was interested in seeing how she dealt with high fantasy – another genre I adore.

It turns out Opal of Light was another wonderful read from Norma Hinkens. It is a great introduction to an enjoyable new world, ensuring I will be diving into each of the Keeper Chronicles books the moment I can get my hands on them. In fact, I’m already counting down the days until I can get my hands on Onyx of Darkness, book two.

As with any good high fantasy series, Opal of Light introduces us to an entirely new world and set of rules. From the very first page we are sucked into the story, being introduced to the elements that will come into play throughout. There is so much to learn throughout this story, and plenty of questions are left open, and I cannot wait to see how all the details come into play throughout the future books.

With a wonderful world and great characters, you’re unable to put this story down once it gets moving. Page after page will be turning, leaving you in dire need of the next detail, the next bit of action, the next scene, and anything else you can get your hands on. You fall in love with all that comes together, leaving you bereaved when you get to the last page and realise you cannot yet jump into the second book to see what happens next.

The only thing I wasn’t crazy about with this one was the romance. It isn’t a central element of the storyline, but it is clearly there. I kept waiting until I felt something, but I never did. I enjoyed the romantic subplot that played out in The Expulsion Project, so I’m hoping I’ll come to enjoy it in the Keeper Chronicles too, but at the moment it’s the one thing I’m not crazy about.

It’s just a small thing, though. Everything else has me hooked. I’m so excited to see what comes next. The ending leaves you with a big ‘what happens next’, but there are so many little things I find myself even more excited about. I feel like the little details, the ones I’m extra curious about, will be what really leaves me loving the future books.

Overall, Opal of Light was a fabulous introduction to what promises to be another amazing series from Norma Hinkens. Bring on book two!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment