Monday 22 June 2020

Review: These Lost & Broken Things

These Lost & Broken Things These Lost & Broken Things by Helen Sarah Fields
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I absolutely adore the author’s Luc Callanach series, which meant the moment I heard Helen Fields was releasing a standalone novel, I was all over that. Add in the fact this was a historical book and I was doubly excited.

Although These Lost & Broken things was a quick and addictive read, filled with plenty of twists and turns to keep me hooked, I’m going to be honest and say it’s my least favourite book from the author. The author’s Luc Callanach series have been four-star reads with some five-star moments, whereas this one had a few points where it wasn’t quite a full four-star rating. It was certainly a gripping read that had me hooked, but I never quite felt the connection with the characters that I had hoped.

There is no doubt that Helen Fields has provided another story that you cannot put down. It keeps you guessing, you’re sucked right into the events of the story, and you find yourself desperate to see how everything comes together. I simply would have liked to feel a stronger connection with the characters, as I found it was the events of this one that held my attention and there were certain elements of the story I didn’t care for because they were more personal to the characters and the connection was lacking.

All in all, another addictive read from the author and I cannot wait to see what comes next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment