Monday 6 September 2021

Review: Hijacked

Hijacked Hijacked by Lucy Lennox
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Hijacked is the first book in the Licking Thicket: Horn of Glory series, a spin-off from Licking Thicket series by Lucy Lennox and May Archer. Although a spin-off, this was clearly the start of a separate series with some overlapping details, and I was willing to take the risk because the book sounded perfect for me.

I’ll be honest and say this is one of those books where I simply was not the right audience. This is labelled as romantic comedy, but the humour did not work for me. The situations were too outlandish, the puns overdone, and I saw most of the jokes coming before they were made. There were a couple of things early in the story that caused my lips to twitch slightly, but it was not enough. Those twitches soon stopped, and I found myself reading a story that felt ridiculous. I’m all for ridiculous stories, but I need a connection to the characters to enjoy the ridiculous things that are happening to them and around them. That connection never happened here – in fact, I never much cared for any of the characters – and it left me feeling as though I was the wrong audience for this book.

I’m sure many will enjoy this – there are plenty of details that will work for other people – but it was not for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment