Thursday 27 July 2017

Review: Humanity's Hope

Humanity's Hope Humanity's Hope by Pembroke Sinclair
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A large percent of the population loves zombies, and I easily fall into that percentage. Despite my enjoyment of all things zombies, I can be rather picky when it comes to my zombie reads. In all honesty, I find zombie books to be hit or miss. I either really enjoy them or I find them lacking. Whilst Humanity’s Hope was an interesting read, it wasn’t quite what I had hoped it would be.

Humanity’s Hope is one of those zombie stories that focuses more on society than it does upon the actual zombie events. There are some scenes where our characters are interacting with zombies, but these scenes take a back seat to the deep insight into society. We get to look at how things have changed since the zombie outbreak, we get an insight into the conspiracy theories that exist in a zombie-filled world, and we get caught up in the corruption that still exists in the world. These types of stories are not for everyone – if you’re someone who is looking for countless zombie showdown scenes, this book is not for you – but I rather enjoy them if they’re done correctly. However, for my mind to be blown, I like for these stories to be as intricate as possible.

Humanity’s Hope had the potential to be a complex story. There were quite a few elements introduced. Some of the elements were unique and interesting, giving us a new take on the zombie world. However, I feel as though the different elements weren’t quite dealt with in full. By the end of the story things had come together well, but I still had quite a few questions. There were elements of the story that were not wrapped up. In many ways, it feels as though this is just the first book in a series. A lot of things seem to be rather open, and I’m hoping it means there is a second book to help bring these open ends together.

Although it wasn’t all I’d hoped it would be, there were many interesting elements to the story. I was pulled in and left wanting more, I found myself curious about the details and awaiting the unravelling, and I will certainly be wanting to give the second book a read if there is one to come.

As I said at the start of this review, I am very picky about my zombie reads. The fact I did not enjoy this one as much as I’d anticipated is partly a reflection of my own reading preference, and I’m sure many will enjoy this young adult zombie read.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment