Thursday 10 August 2017

Review: Deserved

Deserved Deserved by Victoria Johns
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Deserved is the second book in the Soul Mates series, and if I’m completely honest I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed Survivor. Survivor, book one, was a great read, yet Deserved had something that little bit more.

I quite often stay up late reading a good book, but to forego sleep by choice due to a good book is somewhat rarer. Usually I will notice the sun coming up and realise I need to get an hour or so of sleep – such was not the case here. I started Deserved at about three in the morning, and the next thing I knew I looked up from a finished book and the sun had already greeting the world. I started and I could not put this one down. I kept telling myself ‘just one more chapter’ and that chapter kept turning into another and another until I had finished. To call this book addictive is an understatement.

Deserved has a rather different feel to Survivor. Survivor had a real romantic suspense feel to it, yet the feeling wasn’t quite there with Deserved. There were some elements of romantic suspense thrown throughout the story, yet it was not the sole focus. There were many elements thrown into this one. It was a contemporary romance with many layers to it, a number of different aspects interwoven in a wonderful way. It’s a story that will leave you feeling all kinds of emotions – from frustrated mumbling to outright laughter (not the best thing a four in the morning when the other person in the room tells you to shut up and sleep).

I really could mention so many wonderful elements with this one. Age gap, family drama, issues with health, deep displays of friendship, and so many other elements that are done so well. For me, the best element is the portrayal of the child throughout this story. It was a nice change to have a teenager involved rather than a young child. Moreover, it was done so well. Often children can be thrown into stories simply to add a new element, and we fail to connect with them – yet such is not the case here. You come to love the child involved, she plays a central role in the story, and it all plays in so well with the overall story.

Honestly, all the elements of this one come together so well. You fall in love with the characters, you enjoy the romance, and the drama keeps you gripped to the storyline. Whilst not as steamy as book one, the drama in this one more than makes up for it.

Overall, this was a wonderful read. I cannot wait to read more of the author’s work, excited to see what comes next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment