Sunday 5 November 2017

Review: Most Eligible Bastard

Most Eligible Bastard Most Eligible Bastard by Annika Martin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The synopsis of Most Eligible Bastard instantly grabbed me, and I knew I needed to read this one. Everything about it screamed ‘read me’. Laughter was promised. Romance I could ship was promised. A wonderful story was promised. Plus, it would finally give me my introduction to Annika Martin. A few times I have looked at Annika Martin books and thought ‘this sound interesting’ but I never did pick them up – after this, things are about to change. I’ll certainly be reading more Annika Martin books in the future.

As expected, Most Eligible Bastard was a wonderful read, providing so much. In fact, it provided even more than I’d initially anticipated. I’d be expecting your usual enemies-to-lovers romcom, but what I was given was much more intense. Whilst the story was absolutely hilarious, it also dealt with a very serious topic. It can be difficult to walk the line between the two extremes, to merge them without killing off one of the two elements, but this book did it so well. I let out so much laughter throughout this book, but when the serious issues were being dealt with I felt the punch to my gut. It was so well done, giving me a read that was much more than I’d believed it would be.

From the very start of this book I was pulled into the story. Annika Martin’s writing instantly pulled me in, the internal dialogues of the characters leaving me wanting more. Not only did it help me to fall in love with the characters in no time at all, it also made the book a joy to read. The sass and sarcasm were wonderful, ensuring I was along for the ride.

Even without the wonderful storytelling, the story itself was enough to grip me. It had everything necessary to keep me engaged, all those little details that make a book worth reading even when you should be turning your Kindle off and going to bed. There was drama, there was romance, there was humour, and there was a dog. The dog is a very important one in this story, adding that little something more. Throughout there is the serious topic lingering in the background, something you know is going to come out towards the end, and the little glimpses were enough to ensure I remembered there was more to this story than a simple bout of humour.

Not to mention, I adored the characters. They were both such fun, and the chemistry between them was wonderful. They played off each other so well, coming together in a glorious way. From the very start I was shipping them, no time at all needed before I was lost in their story. The side characters were a lot of fun, too. Not to mention – I’m going back there again – the dog.

Without a doubt, this is one of my favourite enemies-to-lovers stories and I’ll certainly be picking up more Annika Martin in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment