Monday 20 November 2017

Review: The Warlord Wants Forever

The Warlord Wants Forever The Warlord Wants Forever by Kresley Cole
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Immortals After Dark series is one of those paranormal romance series that have interested me for quite some time. The books kept popping up, leaving me curious as to what I could expect. Although I did wish to cure my curiosity, I found myself delaying because of how difficult it was to get my hands on the first book. With The Warlord Wants Forever being a novella, it was hard to find a physical copy of the book. Thus, my reading was put off until I managed to get my hands on Blood Red Kiss. Blood Red Kiss allowed me to read the first book in the Immortals After Dark series whilst also giving me a couple of short stories for other series – mainly, though, it was brought for The Warlord Wants Forever.

In all honesty, I expected more from this considering the high ratings this series has. I went in expecting another paranormal romance series addiction, and left feeling rather disappointed. It was an interesting enough story, but I had expected so much more. I believe many of the issues I had with this story come from it being a novella. My fingers are crossed that the next book will be better, as I’m hoping the only reason certain things felt missing is because of the length and such will hopefully be amended in a full-length novel.

As an introduction to the Immortals After Dark world, The Warlord Wants Forever was a decent enough read. We were given enough basics about the supernatural world to develop a simple understanding, although there is still plenty left open that I’m hoping will be developed upon in the future books. We’re given an introduction to the supernatural creatures, some of the characters, and some plot lines – all things I’m sure will be developed even more in the future books. It’s enough to leave you interested to see what comes next, although there isn’t anything overly critical in this one.

In terms of the individual paranormal romance element of this story… I wasn’t as crazy as I had hoped to be. Things were over much too quickly and I never really felt the connection to the characters that I had hoped for. I believe this story would have been even more engaging had it been longer, had we been able to dive even deeper into the characters, yet as it was things came together much too quickly for my liking. There was potential there, but it didn’t quite live up to it – I went from not caring about the characters, to caring just as it was over, without all the complex emotions that should come between.

Overall, The Warlord Wants Forever was a decent introduction to the Immortals After Dark series, but I’m hoping A Hunger Like No Other will be more to my liking.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment