Wednesday 23 June 2021

Review: A Circle of Crows

A Circle of Crows A Circle of Crows by Kelsey Kingsley
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I’ve enjoyed all my Kelsey Kingsley books to date and was eager to dive into this one. As a big fan of suspense and thrillers, I was excited to see the author dive into the romantic suspense genre. Unfortunately, this one did not quite work for me.

I’m sure many will enjoy this one, but pet peeves of mine meant I was constantly pulled out of this the story. One was the way the police forced worked in this story was not truly representative of what the Scottish police force is like in the Highlands. I’ve read quite a few crime books set in the Scottish Highlands and there were aspects that were hard to believed (even when I took into consideration the fact the town was fictional, thus changing how some details would work), which meant I was pulled out of the story at times. Even bigger than this was the way in which the Scottish accent was written. I live in Scotland, and I can assure you that everyone does not sound like they’ve walked out of Outlander. It’s a common thing that regularly distracts me, and such was the case with this one. I doubt this will impact upon many, but it’s one of my biggest pet peeves – especially when the commonly known slang words are used but the regional slang is ignored, which knocks me out of the story more than it should.

Despite these personal pet peeves, I was interested in seeing how the story came together. I worked out the perpetrator the moment they were introduced (it was a bit of a cliché, if I’m honest), but I remained eager to see how the story unfolded with the characters working it out. I did not completely believe in the relationship between them, but there were enough entertaining moments to ensure I want to read more about them if they get more books.

All in all, this wasn’t quite for me, but it was an addictive story that had me reading until the end.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment