Sunday 19 February 2017

Review: Taming a Laird's Wild Lady

Taming a Laird's Wild Lady: Taming the Heart Series Taming a Laird's Wild Lady: Taming the Heart Series by Tammy Andresen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Taming a Laird’s Wild Lady is the third book in the Taming the Heart series, although each book in the series works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. Personally, I had only read book two prior to reading this one, but even without that I could have enjoyed this story. The only benefit to reading the prior book was that I’d been introduced to our leading lady, yet even that was just a simple introduction and didn’t give me all that much about what to expect from her story.

As with book two, this one was a very enjoyable read. It’s a quick read, one you can complete in a single sitting should you wish, with events hitting you one after the other. When books are this length, I find it is important for all events to have meaning. Fortunately, such is the case with this one. It is short and snappy, the action and the romance given ample attention, with something keeping you pulled into the story throughout. Truthfully, I believe this book does all of these things better than the prior book. Of the two, this one is certainly my favourite. You see, Taming a Duke’s Wild Rose was a rounded up four star rating, whereas this one was a solid four star rating.

What made this one better than the prior book? Well, it took all the aspects I enjoyed of the prior book and made them better.

I was addicted from the get-go: I couldn’t put the book down, finding myself with the constant need to red one more chapter. Honestly, every chapter left me questioning what would play out in the next scene, resulting in me reading until I’d consumed the entire story.

The main characters were a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed watching their relationship develop. I’m not the biggest lover of romances that develop at the speed shown within these stories, but I found I didn’t mind much with this couple. There is real chemistry between the two, and there is development of character throughout. I would have been happier if their story had taken longer to bloom, but I was so pulled in that I was able to overlook my usual dislike of whirlwind romances.

The side characters were also a lot of fun. There was real emotion behind all of the interactions to be seen, the entire cast pulling you into the world. Part of me wishes the story had been longer so that I could have enjoyed more of the side characters, as I really did want to see more of their interactions. There was such love between the family, great friendship to be seen, and I wanted more of it.

The only real downside for me was the action towards the end felt a bit too much like the prior book for me to be truly content with the way things played out. It was enjoyable, but I feel as though it was the same sort of action sequence as I read in the prior book. The scenes were different but the feeling felt the same, and I would have liked something different for our characters. Nevertheless, it was a fun read.

Overall, I really enjoyed this story and I’m curious to see what the next book brings.

As a final note, I would like to thank Aurora Publicity for allowing me to read this in exchange for a review: I had a lot of fun with this one, and will certainly be interested in reading more of the author’s work in the future.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment