Wednesday 13 December 2017

Review: Home Field

Home Field Home Field by Laurie Winter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Laurie Winter’s Home Field is a deeply emotional read, one that will pull at your heartstrings and leave you wanting more of the Warriors of the Heart series.

From the very start of this book, I was pulled in, unable to put it down. I was gripped, and the more I read the more I fell in love with the story. The storyline was wonderful; the characters were amazing; the emotions were rich; the chemistry was palpable. In other words, it is what you would hope for from a romance read that hits you right in the chest. In all honesty, I recently started to question if I’ve been reading too many romance books, but this one has reminded me how much a book can make you feel, and I know without a doubt I’ll be reading more romance reads hoping for another hit of something this deeply emotional.

Honestly, I can think of only a handful of reads that have impacted me as deeply as this one. I have picked up many romance books that have been labelled as deeply emotional, as being heart-breaking, only to be disappointed, but I would easily hand over such a label for this book. From the very first page you know you’re going to be hit hard, being given an insight into what is one of the last days of someone’s life on earth. You connect straight away, and when you’re then thrown into the future and are introduced all that is left behind… well, it leaves you broken. It is beautiful, yet realistic – a tragedy that will leave you feeling so much.

If you’re hit hard at the start, wait until you’re deeper into the story. Throughout, the story is an emotional rollercoaster. It is a beautiful story of finding new love and the difficulties involved, yet there is plenty of other heartache to be experienced throughout. I will not say what, because of spoilers, but be prepared to feel everything. There are glorious high and desperate lows; beautiful and damaging moments. I went from wide eyed gooey smiles to open-mouthed fear. I cannot repeat this enough: you will feel it all.

It’s one thing to have a deeply emotional story, but another to do it well. This book certainly does that. The emotions hit so hard because you quickly fall in love with the characters. You connect with them, you come to love what is growing between them, and you cannot help but what to see how their happily ever after will come about. With so many different obstacles in their way, with numerous roadblocks on the way to love, you’re fearful of whether it will be possible.

There’s no doubt about it, Home Field is a beautiful story. It’s a story that will leave you an emotional wreck by the end, and yet you’ll be eager to dive into True Horizon as you’ll want more of the heartache and pain Laurie Winter provides.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment