Saturday 30 December 2017

Review: My Enemy, My Earl

My Enemy, My Earl My Enemy, My Earl by Tammy Andresen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Last year I worked my way through Tammy Andresen’s Taming the Heart series. I enjoyed each of the stories, finding myself wanting more after each one. When the chance came about to start Tammy Andresen’s new series, A Laird To Love, I found myself more than willing to dive in.

Christmastime With My Captain provided an extremely short story that introduced me to the A Laird To Love series, and desperately left me wanting more. It was short, but it provided all I love about a Tammy Andresen novel. Whilst I really enjoyed Christmastime With My Captain, it is merely a blip on the radar considering how much I enjoyed My Enemy, My Earl.

My Enemy, My Earl is the first book in the A Laird To Love series, and it will quickly leave you wanting more. It is a quick read, one that can be completed in a single sitting, but as always Tammy Andresen provides more than enough to keep you gripped throughout. It is a short story, but plenty occurs within the pages to ensure you are addicted from the start until the end.

There is plenty of drama. There is plenty of romance. There is plenty of emotion. The story is moving from the very first page, with each new page adding something more. It is a wonderful start to the series – not only does it provide a brilliant love story between the two characters, it also introduces us to the other characters whose stories we will get to read in the rest of the series. In fact, many of the events and details throughout this story have left me super excited to see how the stories will play out for the other characters.

The one thing that I wasn’t completely blown away by, though, is something most people will be able to overlook. Living in Scotland, I often find it difficult to compute the accent I hear daily with the way most write it down in books. I’ve only ever found a single author where I found things matched up completely, and that is Stuart MacBride. He writes crime fiction set in my part of Scotland in the modern day – basically, he writes where he lives and in his time. It could be nothing more than the stereotypes of historical fiction set in Scotland, but I find I never actually read the words with the Scottish burr. As I said, however, this is something personal.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with My Enemy, My Earl. It was a wonderful introduction to the series and I cannot wait to grab book two when it comes out – there is no doubt of this being another Tammy Andresen series I’ll be following.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment