Tuesday 5 December 2017

Review: Impossible

Impossible Impossible by Julia Sykes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Earlier this year I picked up Dark Lessons, the first book in the Subversive series. Whilst it works perfectly fine as a standalone novel, I found myself wanting more Julia Sykes. When I found out the Subversive series was a spin-off of the Impossible series, carrying on the Impossible series with known characters in Chicago, I knew which Julia Sykes books I would be picking up.

Thus, I went and brought the entire Impossible series.

Despite purchasing the entire series, I ended up reading other Julia Sykes books before diving into the Impossible series. Holden and Brandon are extensively re-written stories of the first two books in the Dark Grove Plantation series. Being such short reads, I was happy to dive into them when I had little time to read something much longer. I’m not usually the biggest lover of short stories, but I really enjoyed them both, which made me all the more excited to dive into the Impossible series. In fact, reading Holden and Brandon simply worked to bump the Impossible series even higher up my to-read list.

I’ll be completely honest by saying the book does take a while before it really gets moving. Although events are happening and you’re growing to enjoy the characters, the start of the book is rather slow. I was enjoying it, yes, but I was a bit impatient for things to start happening. For anyone who feels the same way, I beg you to hold out. Once things start to move, the story is wonderful.

From my handful of Julia Sykes books, I’ve reached the conclusion you can expect certain things. The characters will be a lot of fun with wonderful chemistry. The chemistry will lead to amazing steamy scenes. Later in the book the action will be really exciting. You may have to wait for the action, but the development of the characters and getting to know them certainly makes the wait worthwhile.

With Impossible, I came to love both of our main characters. I know Impossible started off as a single point of view, but I’m so glad it developed and became a dual point of view story. It was great to see events from both sides, especially later in the book when things really got moving, allowing us to see all that was going on.

Overall, I really enjoyed this one. It may have been a wee bit slow to begin, but I was addicted throughout. There is no doubt of me jumping into the rest of the Impossible series, as I cannot wait to find out more about the characters we were introduced to throughout this book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment