Wednesday 13 December 2017

Review: True Horizon

True Horizon True Horizon by Laurie Winter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Home Field, the first Warriors of the Heart book, left me an emotional wreck. It set the bar extremely high, and a part of me was fearful True Horizon would not be able to live up. On more than one occasion, I have read a deeply emotional read, only for the second book to fail to hit the right spots. Fortunately, True Horizon is not such a read. True Horizon is a different kind of story to Home Field, but it is just as hard hitting.

In Home Field, we were introduced to Heath. We got to know a little about his damaged soul, just enough to leave us interested in his story. Do not feel as though you need to read Home Field to understand his story, though. True Horizon works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. I would certainly suggest reading it, though, as it is a wonderful book, but it is not essential to understanding the story of True Horizon.

As with Home Field, I was quickly pulled into True Horizon. As I said, I was tentative at first, but the book quickly won me over. There were a number of reasons for my tentatively – the aforementioned fear of it not being as emotional, the fear of significant other drama, and the fear of how PTSD would be dealt with – yet Laurie Winter quickly proved each of my fears to be unfounded. The story gripped me from the very start, making it impossible to put down, and with each page I read I found myself falling more and more in love with the way in which the heavy topics were dealt with.

Honestly, the Warriors of the Heart series are heavy reads. They deal with very real topics, are stories that will leave you feeling so much. Home Field and True Horizon are connected through the characters, but they deal with very different topics. Both are heavy in their own way, both will leave you feeling so much. Throughout True Horizon, you will experience such a wide range of emotions – but throughout, you will experience an overwhelming feeling of hope. Despite all the darkness in this book, it is very much a story of hope and redemption.

If I’m being completely truthful, I think I may have come to enjoy True Horizon more than I enjoyed Home Field. Both were wonderful stories, yet a part of me is whispering of how I enjoyed True Horizon more. There was such depth to this story, and I couldn’t help but love the journey the characters experienced. It wasn’t easy, the way life never is, yet they did not give up even when the going was beyond tough. With a wonderful storyline and brilliant characters, I was lost to the story. From the moment I picked up True Horizon to the moment I put it down, the story had my full attention.

Without a doubt, True Horizon was a wonderful second book in the Warriors of the Heart series. Home Field left me curious to see whether Laurie Winter would be able to deliver another emotion filled book, and True Horizon has left me with the belief Laurie Winter will now be my go-to author when I want my heart ripped to shred in the most beautiful of ways. The sooner I can get my hands on another Laurie Winter book, the sooner I will be happy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment