Tuesday 11 September 2018

Review: Foundations

Foundations Foundations by Leigh Lennon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My first Leigh Lennon read guaranteed I would be back for more. In fact, after reading Unfiltered I powered through the interconnected standalone books Unacquainted and Unwanted. I adored these stories and was more than happy to read more of Leigh Lennon’s work. Thus, I happily devoured The Holiday Package and The Sweetest Package, both of which I loved. My desire for more Leigh Lennon books remained.

When I read my next Leigh Lennon book, Stockholm, I found myself in the minority. Stockholm was enjoyable, but I’d been hoping for more. However, I blamed it on my extremely high standards when it comes to dark romances – with them being my favourites, I require extremely dark reads to be blown away. Therefore, I was happy to read another Leigh Lennon book, as I considered Stockholm a personal preference issue. My next Leigh Lennon read was Color Blind, and if I’m honest it was my least favourite Leigh Lennon read. Again, I was in the minority with such a view, but it did leave me worried about my next Leigh Lennon read. I wanted more Leigh Lennon, as I’d enjoyed my first five books so much, but I was worried Leigh Lennon was stepping away from the things I’d enjoyed so much about her work when I first started reading her books.

Due to this, I was tentative about Foundations. Leigh Lennon is clearly a versatile romance author, yet I found myself favouring certain types of books from her. In fact, a small part of me worried that through writing what was popular Leigh Lennon was stepping away from what she could write best. I know authors write where the money is, and this will not always be what I like – the current craze with reverse harem within paranormal romance (a trend I have been unable to enjoy) is a prime example – yet I found myself hoping for more of what I’d come to enjoy so much. Nevertheless, despite the tentatively, I was intrigued by the first book in The Power of Three Love series. I wasn’t as excited as I had been about other Leigh Lennon releases, but I was curious about the story.

In truth, Foundations isn’t quite a full four-star rating. This, however, I believe to be due to my recent book funk. I’ve been in a book funk for weeks and handing out a three-star rating has been the best I’ve been capable of doing for quite some time. I did consider holding off Foundations until I was completely over my funk, yet a part of me had hoped it would break the funk. Although this wasn’t quite a full four-star rating, I’m thinking it may very well be the book to break said funk – hence why I rounded my rating up. It was so close, I know outside of my funk I would have happily handed over a four-star rating.

It’s a read that grips you from early on, one that has you addicted to the story and curious to see how things play out. With a great cast of characters, you quickly fall in love with the chemistry between them. It’s not just the main characters, though, as the side characters leave you desperate to find out how their stories will play out. Moreover, for those who enjoyed Color Blind, we get a reference to the Fans of Football series in this one that I’m sure many will appreciate.

As fun as the characters were, it was the progression of the story I really enjoyed. There were points where things were a wee bit on the predictable side and happened a bit quickly, but this was towards the end. Not that I minded, as it was enjoyable, I’d just been hoping for something a bit more explosive and different as the build-up throughout the book had been so much fun. We’re slowly sucked in until we’re lost to the story, desperate to see how every element comes together.

If you’ve enjoyed Leigh Lennon’s other work, I’d certainly recommend grabbing this one. It’s a lot of fun, and I’m eager for the next book in the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment