Friday 21 September 2018

Review: Siren's Calling

Siren's Calling Siren's Calling by Piper J. Drake
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Siren’s Calling is the fourth book in The Sea King’s Daughters series, and although I have only read the prior book in the series – Siren’s Curse – I found the book works perfectly fine as a standalone novel. I do feel, however, that reading the series in order does allow for a better understanding of what is going on. There were certain elements raised that I did not fully comprehend, elements I did not appreciate in full, and I feel as though this would be different if I had read all the books in the series rather than just books three and four.

Although I did enjoy Siren’s Calling more than I enjoyed Siren’s Curse, I wasn’t as blown away by it as I had hoped to be. I think I’m setting my standards too high with all the mermaid books that are currently on the market, because I’ve found book of The Sea King’s Daughters books I have read to be a bit lacking. They’re entertaining, good for a quick read, they offer something different, yet I find myself able to forget about them as soon as I’m done. I’m sure many will enjoy these quick reads, but I believe I’m going to call it quits with this series. I can appreciate them, but they’re not for me.

As I said, Siren’s Calling was a nice quick read. It can be finished in no time at all, giving you a story you can power through. As with the prior book in the series, it offers a nice and unique take on mythology that leaves you curious as to how elements are going to play out. However, I feel as though things never reach the depth they could as the story is so short. We touch the surface of what is to be found, and I would much prefer to dig even deeper, to find out even more.

If you’ve enjoyed the prior books in the series, this is certainly worth reading. It’s a nice little addition to the series, a fun quick mermaid read. However, as I said, I think I’m calling it quits with The Sea King’s Daughter series now.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment