Tuesday 5 June 2018

Review: Foxlowe

Foxlowe Foxlowe by Eleanor Wasserberg
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I’m extremely weak willed when books are on offer, and on multiple occasions Eleanor Wasserberg’s Foxlowe begged me to place it into an offer. The first couple of times I picked a different book instead, but I finally caved and added Foxlowe to my basket. After all, it kept grabbing my attention, so it made sense for me to give it a try.

I really did want to enjoy Foxlowe, it had so much potential, and other reviews I have read left me with the belief this would be the kind of book I would enjoy. I love a good cult book, where it looks at the brainwashing and gives us an insight into the darkness that occurs, and such was what others had me believing I would receive with this. Unfortunately, I do not feel as though I received such a read.

Although the cult element is present within the book, although bad things do happen, I feel as though the book was not very clear and never really went into the depth it could have. We seemed to bounce around too much, barely touching upon the truly dark moments, and nothing seemed to have the depth I would have liked. There was potential, yet it never went as deep as it could have. I kept waiting for us to reach the point where I was sucked in, and each time it seemed as though such would happen we were flung into a different part of the story. I don’t think the writing style helped much, either, as it wasn’t something I could get into.

In truth, I wanted to be generous and give this a two-star rating, as it was an interesting concept. However, it was not executed well enough for me to give it such a rating – thus, it’s a one-point-five-star rating rounded down. I really had been hoping for so much more from this one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment