Wednesday 20 June 2018

Review: Showmance

Showmance Showmance by L.H. Cosway
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Since reading Six of Hearts, L.H. Cosway has been an author I’ve been desperate to read more of. You see, Six of Hearts had me howling with laughter on my flight back from Iceland a couple of years ago, earning me more than a few curious glares, and I’ve been wanting to recreate that experience for quite some time. Despite my desire to read more of the author’s work, I’ve constantly found myself reading something else instead, even when the author’s books have caught my attention. Thus, I decided to change things – I decided it was finally time to dive into more L.H. Cosway, and Showmance was the book to do so with.

Although I did enjoy Showmance, it was not the mind-blowing read I experienced with Six of Hearts. It was addictive and kept me hooked, but it did not have the same kind of spark that had me refusing to put down my phone when walking around an airport as I experienced with Six of Hearts. I know I’m falling into a trap I so often fall into – comparing one book by an author to the standard of another book, when they’re very different stories – yet I had been hoping for something more. While Six of Hearts came close to pulling a five-star rating from me, Showmance sits solidly at a four-star rating.

Don’t get me wrong, I was addicted to this one. From the very first page I was sucked into the story, and I found myself desperate to see how everything came together. I fell in love with the characters and the storyline, I feel in love with the romance, and I was lost to the world. There was a point in the middle of the book where my attention did drift somewhat, but on the whole it was an enjoyable book.

It had a few laughs, but not as many as Six of Hearts. It had emotion, although I do feel as though some things didn’t quite reach the high they could have. It dealt with a number of topics, and this gave the book more depth than I’d expected. All in all, it was a great story – it just wasn’t quite all I had hoped to be, it didn’t quite suck me in as deeply as I had anticipated, especially at those points where my interest started to drift.

Overall, though, I enjoyed this one. I’ll certainly be reading more L.H. Cosway in the future, and already have some of the author’s work on my Kindle – so, let us hope, I will not go as long between books this time.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment