Wednesday 27 June 2018

Review: Mark of Loyalty

Mark of Loyalty Mark of Loyalty by Sarah K.L. Wilson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The last couple of books in Sarah K.L. Wilson’s Dragon School series have left me with the belief we’re at a turning point in the series, and this twelfth book has confirmed said belief. In fact, I think it is safe to call book twelve my favourite in the series. There was so much goodness throughout this book, so many things came together, and I’m so desperate for book thirteen – even more so than my usual level of desperation for the next Dragon School book.

Dragon School: First Flight, book one, sucked me completely into the world – it was so much more than I’d expected, and I couldn’t wait to get more. Dragon School: Initiate, book two, sucked me in even deeper – it showed me there was more to the story than I’d originally thought, ensuring I would pick up the next. Dragon School: The Dark Prince, book three, was a very important book in the series – it may not have been my favourite book, but it was vital to the overall story. Dragon School: The Ruby Isles, book four, continues to move things forward in a wonderful way – it may not be my favourite of the stories, but it is another important addition. Dragon School: Sword, book five, was another brilliant read, adding more to the series – it was also the book that reminded me why I was following the series in the first place, pulling me back in after a short hiatus.

Dragon School: Dusk Covenant, book six, added plenty of new twists – more than enough to ensure I remained ensnared with the story. Dragon School: First Message, book seven, brought even more to the table – more was added to the storyline, plenty of things leaving me curious as to what would come next. Dragon School: Warring Promises, book eight, left on a serious cliff-hanger – all the books leave on a cliff-hanger, but this was probably the biggest of them all. Dragon School: Prince of Dragons, book nine, was probably my least favourite of the series, but it continued to move things forward for us. Dragon School: Dark Night, book ten, was one of my favourites in the series, increasing the level of intensity and leaving us with so many expectations. Dragon School: Bright Hopes, book eleven, was a pivotal book in the series, giving us so many new twists and making so many promises for the future.

Dragon School: Mark of Loyalty, however, blows all the prior books out of the water, giving us a whole new level of intensity. Every book comes with many wonderful things – action, drama, great characters, wonderful world building, secrets, reveals, and much more – yet book twelve is the one that hit me the hardest. There’s so many big things throughout this one, so many huge things that have an impact for the future of the series. At the same time, we’re still given lots of little things, things that promise to be import in the future but are not as in your face about the fact.

Honestly, there really was so much to this one. As I’ve said, repeatedly, it’s my favourite of the series thus far. If I were to sit and list all the things we get information about, I would be listing almost every aspect of this series – so much happened in this one, it touched upon every aspect of the overall story.

Bringing about new elements and furthering those we know and love, Dragon School: Mark of Loyalty has raised the standard of this series even higher. I cannot wait to see what book thirteen brings us.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment