These ‘about me’ sections, or even sections that inform you about blogs, have never been my forte. Much to my chagrin, I was never taught the unwritten rules of what you are supposed to say. The links at the side of the blog – Twitter and Goodreads, for example – are liable to tell you more than I could ever say in words.

Mostly, this will be a book blog. I read a lot, and I love to share my views on my most recent reads. I try to read a little bit of everything, but if you look closely you’ll notice I will occasionally become obsessed with one specific genre for a short period of time. Old books, new books, yet to be released books – I read them all. If you’re an author looking for advance readers or just wish for more reviews of a book you’ve already released, please feel free to contact me. There is a contact form at the side of my blog – if you scroll down below the Twitter and Goodreads sidebar you will find it – so drop me a message and I’ll be sure to get back to you in double time. After all, finding new authors is what makes the book world go around.

Thanks for taking your time to read this. With a little bit of luck, you will find my blog much more interesting than this mundane introductory section.

Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Review: Black Dawn

Black Dawn Black Dawn by Mallory McCartney
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In all honesty, Black Dawn is more of a three-point-five rating. I have such internal battels when it comes to rounding up or down, and in the end I opted to round down with this one. I’m sure many will consider it a four star rating, but for me it wasn’t quite strong enough for me to round up.

Black Dawn has many of the things you want in the start of a wonderful fantasy series. We have interesting world building; we have interesting characters; we have plots; we have royalty; we have evil; we have questionable motives; we have powers we want to learn more about. All in all, this one offers us a lot of things. If nothing else, it offers us all the things we need to keep entertained.

You see, I was pulled into the story. I was constantly left wanting to know more. I have so many questions I need answering, so many things I wish to learn more about. This one really did get a good hold on me. From the very first chapter, I was curious and left wanting more. Things were unclear and I wasn’t quite sure what was going to be thrown my way. As the story progressed, more and more was added that left me inquisitive about the overall story. I was pulled into the different stories, and certain characters left me wanting more of their lives. It all circles back to how I have so many questions – a wonderful thing in and of itself.

The thing that prevented me from giving a full four stars is that I feel as though the story moved much too fast. Yes, I love a fast-paced read. Everyone loves an action packed book that keeps moving forward. This one certainly delivers on that front. However, for me, I feel as though certain developmental aspects were lacking in favour of the action. I wanted to know more about the world – a world that was thoroughly interesting, but failed to become a completely solid image in my mind – and I wanted to know more about the emotional reactions to events. The events were a lot of fun, yes, but they didn’t quite have the powerful punch I’d been hoping for. Having recently read a lot of deeply emotional reads, I feel as though this one fell a bit short.

Nevertheless, I was intrigued by this one. There are a lot of interesting turns, and I’m excited to see where the story goes from here. There are a lot of possibilities, there are so many things I cannot wait to find out more about, and resolutions to events promise to be a lot of fun.

Overall, this was a fun start to the series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment