Thursday 25 May 2017

Review: Lessons in Losing It

Lessons in Losing It Lessons in Losing It by Jessica Peterson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lessons In Losing It is the fourth and final book in the Study Abroad series. I’m so sad that the series is over, but I’m glad to say I’ve enjoyed every step of the journey, with this final book being the perfect way to bring the series to an end.

Considering how Lessons In Losing It started as a novella, it turned into one hell of a story. I was super excited at the novella news, my excitement multiplying tenfold when I found out it was becoming a full-length novel, and what I was given was all I had hoped it would be. It gives us all that we have come to love about the series, ending things with a bang.

Whilst Lessons In Letting Go will always be my favourite in the series (that one hit me so hard, the emotional connection I had with the female lead threatening to break me apart), I can safely say the Lessons In Losing It couple are my favourite. I’ve enjoyed all the couples, but the friendship and love between these two is a winner for me. The banter between the two, the ease at which they connect, and the way they deal with life left me head over heels with them both. Honestly, it’s the kind of relationship we should all strive for: a relationship where our lover is also our best friend, a relationship where the fun and games turns into steamy moments with a single look.

I’ll be honest by saying this isn’t quite the friends-to-lovers romance I’d been anticipating. When I think of friends-to-lovers romances, I think of long-term friendship and the sudden realisation that an attractive exists. With this one, we have the initial attraction and the desire to keep things platonic between the two. I’m sure there are books out there that have done such a thing, yet I haven’t read a friends-to-lovers romance of this ilk before, which resulted in me really enjoy this storyline. Although I wasn’t quite sure about it at first (I really did love their friendship and wanted to spend more time watching it bloom), I came to really enjoy the way things developed in this manner. It was quick, yet it was beautiful.

What I enjoyed the most is how Jessica Peterson took something common to so many romance novels and twisted in a very small way, resulting in a very different type of romantic experience. So many romance stories paint the female as the virgin looking for a connection before sex… What about when the super-hot male is the one holding out for someone special? I can honestly say, I have never read a romance story where this was the case before now, and I really enjoyed it. In fact, I need to read more stories like this. It really was so refreshing.

As is always the case with the Study Abroad books, there’s also a much deeper message behind all the romance. Whilst Lessons In Letting Go resonated with me so deeply with the learning to love yourself message, the message in Lessons In Letting Go is just as important. It’s a battle between love and your dreams, of finding the right mix between the two. As ever, Jessica Peterson does a wonderful job of weaving a deeper message into a swoon worthy read.

As for the ending – well damn. It was so nice to get a glimpse of everyone from the series, getting a look at where people are. Although it is not necessary to have read the prior books in the series, as each works as an individual story, it is nice to be able to see the development that has taken place throughout the series.

Honestly, I really am heartbroken that this series has come to an end. I attribute this book as one of the main reasons why I opened myself up to contemporary romance. I wasn’t all that big on it, yet since I read started this series, I found I was looking for more and more.

Nevertheless, I’m positive whatever Jessica Peterson writes next, it will be amazing. I cannot wait to see what story she brings us next, but I know for sure that I will be jumping into it as soon as I get the chance.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment